Friday 24 December 2010

Day 13, Banff to Calgary and back, 161 miles

Today my brother was working, so I decided to drive to Calgary for the day. This is the city I flew into and will be where I leave from in a few weeks.

To get from Banff to Calgary you drive along the trans Canada highway 1 which is a 2 lane motorway that travells 4,990 miles from west coast to east coast Canada..... I did 160 Miles of it!

It's pretty much the same as the I-90 that I went on in the states..... 2 lanes, very little traffic with a speed limit of 120km per hour.

I have no pictures from today the road is kinda boring and the weather was dull and flat!

I wanted to get to the camera store to take my lens rental back, so I entered into the sat nav 10th street and set off....when I got there the sat nav took me to a residential street, which is not what I wanted!!

Looking on the Brightside (Mr :-D xxx) I got to see my first roundabout in 3 weeks!! Albeit I had to go round it the wrong way!! Even sat on the other side of the car I still had to force myself to go the wrong way.....

The problem is I don't understand (and never will!) the Canadian/USA way of naming their roads!

Calgary is laid out in a grid system and somewhere In the centre there are 2 roads that cross...1 is called 1st avenue and the other is called 1st street. Avenues go from east to west and streets go from north to south.......or is it the other way round?!?! The numbers then increase the further out of the city that you get. Except there will be a 10th street in the north and a 10th in the south. The sat nav had let me the the wrong one!

The amount of technology these days is way more than I had last time I travelled about 10 years ago...... Firstly there is Facebook to keep in touch , the Internet was a luxury 10 years ago. I had to visit an Internet cafe to check my emails, WIFI was un heard of..I remember paying loads for an international calling card so that I could call my mum once a week to tell her I was still alive!! Now I can skype over wifi for free, and I even get to see her cause she has a webcam!...all for free. In the car in addition to sat nav I had a radar detector.....This wasn't mine but I sure used it a lot!!! I also had my iPhone hooked up to the car radio so that I could play my albums out the speakers, my brother lent me his iPad so that I could review my pictures and post theses blogs and connect to wifi.

Back at Banff for the last leg of my road trip. The car certainly looked like it had been on a road trip...note to self, must wash Dez before I leave Canada....finding a car wash here is harder than you think! Cars never get washed but Dez was so dirty you couldn't see out of the windows!

So for the final posting on my blog for the road trip I will end with some stats. I will post for the remainder of my holiday if there is something worth posting or pictures to show, but it won't be every day.

That's all for now dudes and dudettes.....Laters, over and out..... Croakez!!

Stats from my road trip......

2,020 miles driven,
1,289 photos taken,
11 days,
5 states crossed, (Alberta, British Columbia, Montana, Washington, Idaho)
4 national parked entered, (Banff national park, Glacier national park, Yellowstone national park, and Yoho national park)
2 countries visited, (Canada and Untied States of America)
1 awesome road trip......

Carlsberg don't do road trips, but if they did it would probably have been the best road trip in the world!!









Location:Banff,Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment