Wednesday 22 December 2010

Day 10, Butte Montana to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, 285 Miles

The whole of this trip today was spent on the I-90 which is short for Interstate 90, the USA equivalent of a motorway. Its the longest Interstate Highway in the USA at 3000 miles long reaching from coast to coast!! I did 285 miles of it, not even 10%!!! I crossed back over the continental divide, so now it's mums turn to play pooh sticks as she is in New Zealand!! (this will only make sense if you have read my other post when I crossed the continental divide on the way to Yellowstone!!!)

Driving on the motorways over here is sooooo different to the M6!! there is only 2 lanes for a start. In the whole 285 miles I must have only gone into the fast lane 10 or so times. There is so little traffic there is no need to and what little traffic there is they are all roughly travelling at the same speed so there is no need to overtake.

The roads were ploughed and gritted so there wasn't a bit of snow or ice on there. The speed limit is 75 mph and they don't have services, only rest stops which are unmanned warming huts that contain a toilet and a water fountain and usually posters on things to do in the area. Another thing about the motorways is the junction numbers are the number of miles to the next state line.

Speaking of state lines, I crossed one on the I-90 from Montana to Idaho.... here is the picture....





At the same time I crossed the state line, I also crossed a timezone...... In a car...... Without changing countries.........,COOL never done that before!!! I went back to Pacific time which is -8 hours from GMT.

Whilst driving there was an area that must be really cold cause all the trees and bushes has this frost stuck to them, here are a few pictures from when I got off the I -90 for a look around. It was really weird to see...





























All over Montana these funny things were sat in the fields, I think they are like automatic waterers or seed planters... From what I can gather they roll up and down the fields either spurting out water or seeds from the hoses that point towards the ground. This one was the longest one that I saw, it went on forever!!!










On another stop off the I-90 I spotted this river, sorry didn't catch it's name but it was somewhere off the I-90 in Idaho!!







Then travelling through the I-90 you travel through the Lolo national forest, it had just snowed the night before here too as there were millions of snow angels lining the I-90....











Tomorrow I will cross the border and then I'm nearly back to my brothers. Mum you can breathe again tomorrow !!!!

1 comment: