Wednesday 22 December 2010

Day 9, West Yellowstone to Butte, 150 miles.

Last night we had about 1 1/2 feet of snow! It was a massive dump of powder! I didn't think that the one road out of West Yellowstone would be open come the morning but I guess for a place that gets a lot of snow 1 1/2 inches was nothing.

This was poor old Dez in the morning before I shovelled the snow. The picture doesn't do the depth justice ....



This is after...


Once again the snow tyres came up trumps and got me out of the town, once I was on the roads they had been ploughed so it was all ok.

It was a shame I was leaving Yellowstone behind, the weather was so overcast when I went in that I didn't get any decent pictures, the day I was leaving was blue skies. Typical! Oh well, perfect excuse to return later in the new year!

On the drive to Butte I stopped at a town where they sold cowboy hats.... Don't think I would make a very good cowgirl!!





Today was also the day of the lunar eclipse, so out I went at 12am in -20 oc to photograph the event. I was lucky I had perfect sky, not a single cloud. I had no idea it would take so long to get to the eclipse! Standing out there in -20oc is not fun! However it was all worth it, here are just some of the images I took...














Tomorrow will be a long day, I'm about a 1/3 rd of the way back to Banff, I'm driving home for Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. amazing pics of the eclipse :-)

    i could imagine you as a cowgirl - get yourself some boots with spikes on the back - A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just need a cowboy then!! Riding a horse or a snowmobile I guess it's all the same lol

    ReplyDelete