Wednesday 15 December 2010

Day 3, Calgary AB to Fernie BC, 190 miles

Today was really a catch up on sleep and set up day. Jet lag has hit me hard, I have no idea why, normally when I travel west it's ok...the only thing I can think it that I have a stinking cold that I cannot shift. I had 3 hours sleep in 2 days so needed the rest.

My brother had the day off so we spent most of the day getting the car ready for the road trip...tyres were pumped up, screen wash was filled, window wipers were changed, I learnt that if it is colder than -10 oc then the car needs to be plugged into the electric to ensure it starts, I am an expert at driving on snow - deep deep snow!! I am fully briefed on what to do if I get one tyre stuck, (use the car mats if you are wondering !!) and then I was ready to set off :-/




I didn't plan this section of the trip very well. Driving in the dark is BORING!!! All I could see was what I could call a snow tunnel, the snow Is coming at you so fast that it looks like you are driving in a tunnel.

Note to self........ Set off before 4 pm to

a) avoid the dreaded snow tunnel and
B) actually see something that may be worth photographing!!

I won't be doing that one again!!!

....4 hours later I arrived at a small colonial town called Fernie. Again it's dark so no photographs. But will make up for it tomorrow.

I'm stopping in a hostel called Raging Elk purely cause of the awesome name lol. This is a skiing town where at least 5 people have asked me what I though of the hill!?!?!?! I politely told them that i am just passing through for a couple of hours with no intention of skiing 'the hill' to which their jaw hit the floor and didn't come back for a good few seconds!!!

Oops another note to self.... Next time research the skiing hills and plan at least a days skiing lol.

So on to tomorrow - Fernie to Columbia falls crossing the USA border. Cant wait to see the USA.

Laters dudes and dudettes

Post a comment or email to let me know you are reading. It makes it worth while posting if I know people are reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment